To lead and excel in teaching the Preparatory Year students the principles of basic sciences in an outstanding learning environment keeping up with the standards of quality and academic merit.
The Unit ensures that students at the Department of Basic Sciences are ready to excel in their science majors by developing their aptitude in science and that they are equipped with cognitive skills that help them become high achievers by national standards of quality.
The major functions of the Unit are to:
1. Reaffirm the commitment of students and faculty members to the principles of discipline within the department;
2. Equip all students with basic knowledge and skills in basic science subjects;
3. Encourage and help students participate actively in various activities within the department and discover and sponsor talented student to integrate positively in in the university community;
4. Coordinate and communicate with deans at other faculties to derive optimum benefit from the science courses offered at the Deanship;
5. Enhance the educational environment at the university to ensure better academic quality;
6. Encourage, control and monitor quality at the department.
Message of the Head of the Department
The idea of having such a department at the PY Deanship came from the belief of the University's interest to prepare students with the basic sciences they need. Therefore, students spend time learning about the basic sciences related to what they are studying in the upcoming semesters. Consequently, the generation will be able to achieve both the goals and ambitions.
Three courses are taught; mathematics, physics and chemistry.
Teaching these courses by highly qualified teachers in well-equipped teaching halls will create a positive attitude towards these sciences. For maintaining quality, the university makes sure the technology is being used effectively in order to ensure a good learning environment. This will contribute to the student self-learning skills through various electronic media, including video annotation and YouTube channels.
To cause this to happen, all assignments, tests and all other needed documents are available on Black Board.
The department teaches the following courses:
Scientific Mathematics (Pre-calculus) 1003101 General Mathematics 1003101
General Chemistry 1003103 General Physics 1003102
To provide a better teaching service, the sources of learning are available for students. They can be used at any time throughout the university working days.
It is my pleasure to listen to your comments and suggestions that certainly contribute to the development of the educational process through E-mail.
Supervisor of the Department of Basic Sciences
Dr. Ahmed Farouk Al-Hosainy
Speech of the head of the department Video Clip on PY Channel
Theoretical Mathematics 1003-101.
Scientific Mathematics 1003-101.
Brief Description of Courses:
Theoretical Mathematics 101-1003.
Scientific Mathematics 101-1003.
Textbooks of the Department:
Mathematics textbook for Theoretical Colleges.
Mathematics textbook for Scientific Colleges .
Chemical Basis of Life Unit.
Biology Exploring Life Unit.
The Molecules of Cells Unit.
A Tour of the Cell Unit.
Nutrition and Digestion Unit.
Gas exchange Unit.